Seasonal Fire Safety
Summer fireworks, grilling and camping
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass. Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. Make sure to stand several feet away while lighting fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it. Put it out with water and dispose of it safely.
- Never grill in enclosed areas or near buildings. Dispose of hot coals properly by dousing them with water. Never place them in plastic, paper, or wooden containers.
- Build small campfires away from dry areas keeping water and a shovel nearby to put out the fire before you leave.
Holiday decorations and Christmas trees
- Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive wear. Do not use any damaged lights.
- Never burn wrapping paper in a fireplace - it can cause a large fire, throwing off dangerous sparks and may result in a chimney fire.
- Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame, or sparks. Make sure the tree stand is always filled with water.
- When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by taking it to a recycling center or having it hauled away by a community pick-up service.
Winter heating solutions
- Inspect your stove, chimney or pipes for damage or obstructions and get them repaired or cleaned immediately.
- If your stove burns wood, only use seasonal wood for fuel, not artificial logs, or trash.
- Make sure your space heater has a thermostat control mechanism and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over. Heaters should not be used as dryers or tabletops.
- Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
- Never wear loose-fitting clothes near any open flame and make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.