Michigan Farm Bureau’s premier state-level advocacy event, our annual Lansing Legislative Seminar, is going regional in 2023 with seven events scheduled across the state between Feb. 1 and March 31. While the event won’t be steps from the capitol, county Farm Bureau members will still find ample opportunity for personal contact with representatives and senators and hear updates on legislative issues and proposals.
“We’re changing things up,” said MFB President Carl Bednarski, who explained the board of directors’ decision to try district-based events in 2023, then return to a Lansing-based event in 2024. “The idea is to increase the number of county Farm Bureau members involved in grassroots lobbying and offer a new take on a classic event that’s continued mostly unchanged since the 1950s.
“Newly redrawn legislative districts and a new roster of state elected officials taking office on January 1st is as good of a time as any to try this approach and facilitate meaningful, purpose-driven conversations between farmers and state lawmakers.”
The seven event locations were chosen in a way that made sense for where the legislative districts are located, in relation to our county Farm Bureaus.
“Your district directors are collaborating with each other and working with staff to provide members with an experience that’s closer to home but still effective,” Bednarski added. “Our hope is these regional LLS events will complement and enhance your county Farm Bureau’s regular legislative activities.”
Members should save the date of their regional event and follow member publications like Farm Gate and Michigan Farm News for updates. Members interested in attending should contact their county Farm Bureau office; registration will open four weeks prior to each event. Additional detail will be published on the LLS event web page as agendas are finalized for each location.
Districts 1 & 4
- Feb. 3; 9 a.m. at Sportel Greenhouses, 5912 L Ave E, Kalamazoo
- County Farm Bureaus: Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Cass, Ionia, Kalamazoo, Kent, Ottawa, St. Joseph, Van Buren
- Feb. 20; 11 a.m. at River View at Frankenmuth Brewery, 423 S. Main St., Frankenmuth
- County Farm Bureaus: Huron, Lapeer, Sanilac, St. Clair, Tuscola
- Feb. 20; 10:30 a.m. at Island Resort, W 399 US-2, Harris
- County Farm Bureaus: Chippewa, Copper Country, Hiawathaland, Iron Range, Mac-Luce-Schoolcraft, Menominee
Districts 2 & 5
- March 1; 11 a.m. at the Radisson Hotel at the Capitol, 111 N. Grand Ave., Lansing
- County Farm Bureaus: Branch, Calhoun, Clinton, Eaton, Genesee, Hillsdale, Ingham, Jackson, Lenawee, Shiawassee
Districts 7 & 9
- March 6; 10 a.m. at Comfort Inn, 5323 US-10, Ludington
- County Farm Bureaus: Benzie-Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Missaukee, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Northwest Michigan, Oceana, Osceola, Wexford
- March 10; noon at Detroit Port Authority, 130 Atwater St., Detroit
- County Farm Bureaus: Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Washtenaw, Wayne
Districts 8, 10 & 11
- March 13; 11 a.m. at Forward Conference Center, 2980 Cook Road, West Branch
- County Farm Bureaus: Antrim, Arenac, Bay, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Clare, Emmet, Gladwin, Gratiot, Huron Shores, Iosco, Isabella, Midland, Ogemaw, Otsego, Presque Isle, Saginaw