Skip to main content
Michigan Farm Bureau Family of Companies

Welcome to our new website!

We hope you'll take a moment to check things out. We are still under construction in some areas so please bear with us as we continue to enhance your web experience. 


Special Announcement: The Farm Bureau Family of Companies is dedicated to providing for and protecting Michiganders. To this end, we are encouraging all policyholders and members to review their coverage limits on their insurance policy(ies). With recent increases in the cost of goods, services, and construction, we want to do our part to ensure Michigan residents are properly protected. Please contact your local agent if you believe that your coverage limits may need to be increased.

Insurance Options Available for Renters and Condo Owners

As a condo owner or renter, your insurance needs are unique. Learn which coverage options are available for you.
Date Posted: July 1, 2021

What does Renters Insurance and Condo Insurance Cover?  

If you are renting or own a condo, your insurance needs are uniquely different from a homeowner's policy. Some renters and condominium owners believe their possessions are covered by their landlord's/owner's insurance. This is rarely true. 

Typically, the landlord’s insurance covers loss or damage to their property, not yours. With Renters or Condo insurance, you can be covered for: 

  • Claims Expenses 
  • Injuries that occur inside your rental (Personal Liability) 
  • Replacement of stolen/damaged items (Personal Property)   
  • Personal items with special insurance needs (Scheduled Personal Articles) 

Additional Coverage for Condo Owners 

Specific to condo unit owners, coverages can be provided, on a replacement cost basis, for your appliances, fixtures, improvements, and alterations that are part of the building and contained within your residence. Separate structures owned solely by you at your location can also be covered.  

Additional coverages specific to Condo Insurance include:

  • Living expenses while your home is repaired (Loss of Use)  
  • Weather-related damages, vandalism, etc. (Named Perils) 

Will You Need Flood Insurance?  

Flood insurance is not commonly covered in your typical homeowner’s insurance policy, but is available to: 

  • Commercial owners/renters 
  • Condo owners 
  • Homeowners 
  • Renters 

Premiums vary widely and flood policies typically take effect 30 days after purchase. Contact an agent for assistance in obtaining flood insurance.

Want to learn more? 

Contact an agent for all additional options available for:



Related Articles